12855 S.W. 132nd Street, Suite 203, Miami, Florida 33186

Miami Divorce Attorney

305-378-1414 305-378-1414

Post-Judgment Modifications

Miami Post-Judgment Modification Attorney

Modifications made based on your changed circumstances

The Law Offices of Arthur D. Lake, LLC assists divorced clients in Broward County and Miami-Dade who need a modification to their alimony, child support or child custody orders based on substantial changes such as:

  • Job loss
  • Remarriage
  • Relocation
  • Denial of visitation
  • Birth of a new child
  • Change in financial circumstances
  • Mental or physical health of a parent
  • Signs of abuse or neglect
  • Absentee parenting or abandonment
  • Social or learning deficiencies for a child

Your Florida divorce decree is final . . . until it’s not

Florida divorce law treats your decree as a final judgment, but often the ideal of finality must give way to the reality of changed circumstances. It’s true that when you experience slight interruptions to your routine, you must manage them within the framework of your decree. But when you encounter a substantial change of circumstances, you’re within your rights to petition the court for a reset of alimony, child support or child custody.

Changed circumstances can be negative or positive. An occurrence beyond your control, like the loss of your job, can make it impossible for you to fulfill your support obligations or child custody duties. In that case, you need the court to approve a temporary modification until you are working again. But a positive occurrence in one ex-spouse’s life can cause an imbalance or a disruption that requires a court ruling to settle. If your ex-spouse remarries, your continued payment of alimony might cause financial hardship for you while unjustly enriching your ex. Or if your ex-spouse must move out of the state and wants to take your children, that move would disrupt your parenting time.

The Law Offices of Arthur D. Lake, LLC represents parties to a divorce on either side of the dispute, whether they are seeking the modification or opposing it. But unlike many other Miami divorce modification lawyers, Attorney Lake has gone through his own divorce, and knows from personal experience the difficulties of making the divorce decree work over the long term.

Avoid court penalties: don’t act on your own

Often the only reason a divorce decree doesn’t work is because one of the spouses refuses to abide by it. What was once a working relationship becomes a tit for tat. Divorce lawyers in Miami see this example all too often: an ex-husband thinks, “If my ex-wife is going to interfere with my visitation, I’ll hold off on the child support.” That kind of self-help quickly becomes self-sabotage, when the ex-wife files a motion for enforcement, and the ex-husband is labeled a deadbeat dad. Remember, your divorce decree is a court order, and the court has means of enforcement. In the example above, the ex-husband should have asked the court to enforce the visitation schedule instead of resorting to illegal tactics.

Contact a knowledgeable divorce modification lawyer in Miami, Florida

If circumstances beyond anyone’s control have made your divorce settlement unworkable, don’t just assume you can modify it on your own. Call The Law Offices of Arthur D. Lake, LLC at 305-378-1414 or contact the firm online to schedule a free initial consultation.

Quick Contact Form

Contact Our Firm

Please fill out the form below to have someone from the firm contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Nav Map