12855 S.W. 132nd Street, Suite 203, Miami, Florida 33186

Miami Divorce Attorney

305-378-1414 305-378-1414

Student Visas

Helpful Student Visa Attorney in Miami, FL

Assisting international students to extend their stays and change status

The state of Florida and the city of Miami attract visitors from all over the world, so it’s no surprise that local colleges and universities are popular with international students. Though most international students are able to pursue their educations without incident, young people far from home can encounter difficulties that impact their status in the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). The Law Offices of Arthur D. Lake, LLC ensures that international students are treated fairly by any administrative bodies they encounter, including the U.S. Department of State, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). While many student visa attorneys in Miami know immigration law well enough to be of assistance, Attorney Arthur Lake knows the immigrant experience personally and delivers heartfelt service to students in distress.

Help with lost documentation

A student visa, unless canceled for some reason, is valid until its expiration date, even if the student’s passport expires. An expired passport is not a problem, but a lost passport that contains the visa, Form I-20 for entry into the U.S., and Form I-94, which is the student’s arrival-departure record, opens the student to suspicion of being in the United States illegally. Immigration attorney Arthur Lake acts quickly to facilitate the replacement of lost documents.

Overstaying in the United States and being out-of-status

A student’s Form I-94 indicates the last day the student is authorized to be in the United States on any particular visit. After that, the student is considered out-of-status and is in violation of U.S. immigration laws. This voids the student’s visa and may render the student ineligible to return to the United States. Students completing their course of studies are entitled to additional days to prepare their departure or to receive Optional Practical Training (OPT). Students who wish to extend their stay must get a change in status approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Students can change to another nonimmigrant category that may allow them to accept employment in the United States. If you are unsure of your right to extend your stay, don’t risk being out-of-status — contact attorney Arthur Lake immediately.

Sponsoring an international student for a student visa

If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen with a young relative in your country of origin who could benefit from an American university education, you may sponsor that student. The Law Offices of Arthur D. Lake, LLC advises potential sponsors on their roles, and the necessary steps the prospective student must take to qualify for a student visa, including:

  • Acceptance at a school
  • Demonstration of sufficient funds to pursue the course of study
  • Intention to leave the United States after concluding their course of study

Contact a concerned student visa lawyer in Miami, Florida for a free consultation if retained

The Law Offices of Arthur D. Lake, LLC helps international students with visa issues. For a free initial consultation, call the firm at 305-378-1414 or contact the Miami office online.

Quick Contact Form

Contact Our Firm

Please fill out the form below to have someone from the firm contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Nav Map